Thursday, June 08, 2006

Don't Crack Up

Today at work I was loaned to another office where they just had me stuffing hundreds of envelopes. I hadn't gotten enough sleep and I was feeling self-conscious in front of a different supervisor, so I was feeling pretty punchy. Here are three things that I thought of that made my mouth start twisting around because I didn't want to laugh out loud. In order of occurrence:


1) There's a "Simpsons" episode where Homer realizes that his life is already half wasted and he worries what people will remember him for after his death. He imagines a steamshovel dropping a bunch of dirt and his corpse into his grave. We pan over his sparsely attended funeral which includes Lenny and Ned (his family is not present) to where his legs are protuding from the ground. Heckle and Jeckle are contemplating them.

Heckle: There goes a real sack of crap.
Jeckle: Indubitably old chum!


2) The part in "Draftee Daffy" when Daffy is crawling along the floor in terror and muttering, "Man... Draft Board... Letter... President... Man... Draft Board..." You can see it here .


3) In "True Stories" when John Goodman is on his blind date and tells a woman that he is writing a song, the lyrics of which he has not completed. He attempts to sing her what he has so far and he ad-libs some syllables with meowing.

The last one got me the closest to actually cracking up. The feeling of holding in laughter because you will get in trouble may be the best feeling in the world. It is the best reason to see an amateur theater production.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great--sorry I haven't been here yet.

The draft board cartoon is so crazy.

I like the feeling of uncontrolable laughter too because it feels very genuine. It feels like: "man, this thing is genuinely funny. no one is expeting me to laugh, but I can't help myself."